Hello from Oklahoma City! We have had the privilege of traveling with Makia on his last couple of trips and I could really get used to this. One of the perks of the military is to be able to come on stateside training trips with your mate. Makia and I always look at it as an expense paid mini vacation. That is, I do have to pay for my flight and meals, but at least it's half free! Oh, and there is paying for a dog sitter too....ok, so it's not so free, but at least we get to come with Makia!
Last month we traveled to Atlanta and Houston which were both fun trips and this month you find us here in Oklahoma. Olivia is at the ripe age of 14 months and has already traveled to 17 states. Alliedog and Lady Grits have gotten to travel to 14 of those states. I'd say that makes for well traveled baby and dogs. We are hoping to head out to Spain this summer and see another part of the world. I absolutely cherish all the memories we make on these trips and am so grateful to have a husband that jumps at the chance to take us with him.
So as most of you know from my last post, I underwent radiation treatment for my Graves disease last week. I laugh at the fact that I can honestly say that I have something in common with the rap star Missy Misdemeanor Elliott (well, other then the fact that I have mad rapping skills). Anyway, I went to see my endocrinologist yesterday before heading out and found out to her and my surprise that the treatment didn't improve my condition. I could have sworn it had since I've been feeling healthy in the past few days which she attests to me getting an adequate amount of rest. My numbers are exactly the same as they were prior to undergoing radiation. She said that in some cases the radiation takes at least a month before it starts working. The thing that alarmed me though and has me thinking that my condition won't improve is the fact that she kept asking me, "Are you sure you went in and took the radiation pill" as she looked with a perplexed look at my lab results. Apparently, she and my nuclear doctor haven't been in contact with one another.
I left the office feeling defeated because I felt like I had just wasted 10 days away from my family's life for nothing. I had about a 30 minute drive home, and was able to save myself from diving into a sea of self pity. Or maybe it wasn't I that saved myself from the pool, but the Lord who spared me. The fact is, yes, I do feel crappy a lot of the time, but the fact remains that I am so lucky to be living the life that the Lord my God has chosen for me. I know this isn't a terminal illness, but I am anxiously waiting to see what lesson I am being taught through this season. I am delighted in the fact that I know He wants to grow me, and I look forward to the chance to love Him more deeply then the way I am able to right here in this moment.
My point in writing this today is not to gain pity from all who read this as if you get stuck on the pity aspect you have lost the meaning in which I've meant to convey. My point is this: There are a lot of crappy situations that occur in our everyday lives, some worse then others. In those moments, are you seeking to glorify Christ? If not, then how can you change that?
Those past rough moments have given me more faith, trust, and love for God because I can see how he has never forsaken me. Those moments are what helps propel me through the next tough situation that life had to give, and I joyfully look forward to what God is trying to teach me today. I am so full of faults and I know one of my biggest has been my lack of patience. I can utter the words, "it's not about my timing, but about His," but those words mean nothing if I really don't mean them in my heart. I've come to understand that when I say that, I can't truly mean it if I'm still struggling in the area of patience. So maybe, could it be that this is what is to be learned with this whole Graves Disease thing? I hope so...I really want to become more patient. Either way, I take this situation today and accept my position with true faith that He will see me through it. If you find yourself in a bind, be encouraged too. Give your burdens to Him as His burden is light.
Olivia had fun eating tortillas with Tia Alva.
Love how she is standing on my Dad's foot.
Cousin Rene dropped in to say hello.
Tia Mona making my girl laugh.
Posing with Tio Ross.
These two do a great job of lighting up when Olivia is around. I can't wait until she realizes how special they think she is!
Cracking up at brunch
While in Oklahoma we stopped by to see Makia's childhood home. It turns out the son of the people who bought the house from Makia's parents lives in the home with his family. We got to talk to them about all the changes that they had made to the house.
Makia's elementary school
Makia got to play on his Mom's indoor soccer team....Betty ran circles around Makia!
My two favorites!
Mi Cocina with the family.
My sweet sister
Brunch with the BFF.
My wonderful mother-in-law. I got lucky!
Wow, he's hot! :)
My sweet girl in her African dress that Pop brought back for her from Cameroon.
If you look closely, you will see Siewe running the Warrior Dash.
Then came Steve.
Alice came in the top 10% of her age group! You go girl!!!!







No comments:
Post a Comment